Pick your date to indicate your preference, and we will contact you with further details.
Class 1:MELT Components
- In-Yard (around the vehicle)
- In-Cab (behind the wheel)
Total hours:40 hours
Airbrakes (If needed):
- In-Yard (around the vehicle)
Total hours:48.5 hours
Class 1 Experience and Equivalency M.E.L.T. Training
For over 30 years Donovan Driver Education has set the standard in training professional Class One drivers in Alberta.
Donovan Driver Education hires only the most qualified and knowledgeable instructors available in the industry. You get more than just driver training, you get the techniques and skills that only experienced instructors can offer.
We have become the most recognized institute in Alberta, giving us a degree of credibility that is unmatched anywhere.
The Experience and Equivalency mandatory entry-level training for Class 1 is a total of 48.5 hours, including classroom, in-yard, and in-cab training.
We offer flexible training so you can continue to work and train for your new professional driving career.
*See the Classroom & Airbrakes tab for upcoming course dates! *
The written exam must be completed before we can book your road test and it can be done at any registry office. To prepare for the test you will need to study the Basic Driver's Handbook & Commercial Driver's Handbook (available under the Resources tab)
To take the Experience and Equivalency Class 1 MELT Program, drivers must:
- Hold a current Alberta Class 3 driver’s licence.
- Have held an Alberta Class 3 driver’s licence or the equivalent driver’s licence from another Canadian jurisdiction for two (2) or more years; and
- To demonstrate that they meet this criterion, drivers who gained their two year of experience with holding a Class 3 equivalent driver’s licence in another Canadian jurisdiction must provide a driver’s abstract from the other Canadian jurisdiction.
- Have two (2) or more years of work experience operating a single motor vehicle with three (3) or more axles. a. To demonstrate that they meet this criterion, drivers must provide one of the following:
- A signed letter(s) from an employer that states you have a minimum of two years of work experience operating a single motor vehicle with three or more axles. The letter must include the employer’s contact information.
- A signed letter(s) from customers or suppliers that specifies that you operate a vehicle with three or more axles to provide your service to them and have provided the service for a minimum of two years. The letter must include the customers’ or suppliers’ contact information.
A daily logbook for a two year-period that meets the requirements outlined in the Drivers’ Hours of Service Regulation or the Government of Canada's Commercial Vehicle Drivers Hours of Service Regulations.
Experience and Equivalency mandatory entry-level training for Class 1
Beginning January 1, 2021, all drivers wanting to obtain their Class 3 to class 1 license must complete the Experience and Equivalency mandatory entry-level training course.
Price does not include government testing fees, road test permit fees, or drivers medical fees.
Please email your below-completed application and supporting documentation to email@example.com.
Apply Here: https://formsmgmt.gov.ab.ca/Public/DPLS12623.xdp.